The Crucible – Act One – Quotations
“…just now when some good respect is rising for me in the parish, you compromise my very character.” – Parris to Abigail
- In Salem reputation is extremely important.
- Establishes tension between father and daughter.
“Your name in the town – it is entirely white, is it not?” – Parris to Abigail
- Parris is keen to know that his daughter is beyond suspicion.
- Symbolism – Abigail must be pure/ innocent.
“My name is good in the village! I will not have it said my name is soiled! Elizabeth Proctor is a gossiping liar!” – Abigail
- Abigail resents the accusation from her father (hence exclamation marks).
- First sign of discord between Abigail and Elizabeth.