As preparation for the podcast task:
Tess Durbeyfield is a positive role model for girls
- What do we mean by “role model”?
- Someone successful in their chosen field?
- Someone who overcomes difficulties?
- Someone who attempts to make the world a better place?
- Someone who does not give in when life seems against them?
- Someone willing to take a stand against injustice?
- What make a person or character a role model?
- Exceptional talents?
- Physical attractiveness?
3. How does Tess conform to this idea?
Positives: Rejects the passivity of a working class girl
Insists on telling the truth
Is resilient in the face of terrible events
Takes action to achieve happiness
Wants to do what is right for her family
Is willing to sacrifice her own happiness
Breaks out of her social position
Negatives: Believes she is fated to be unhappy
Is unable to stand up for herself
How is it revolutionary to end up with a man?
Cannot cut off her feckless relatives
4. How much is she responsible for her actions?