· The act takes place in the early hours of the following morning.
· Mother is highly anxious about Chris’s disappearance.
· She talks to Jim, and he suggest that compromising our principles is a necessary part of life.
· He then reveals that he knows Joe’s secret.
· Mother tries to persuade Joe to tell the truth to Chris.
· When Ann enters, she says she can forgive the family, but only if Mother accepts that Larry is dead.
· When she refuses, Ann produces a suicide note from Larry.
· Chris returns and says he cannot be with Ann – she will be a reminder of his family’s compromise.
· After an argument with Chris, Joe is shown the letter and he storms back into the house.
· Joe has realised that he motivated his son’s suicide, but also betrayed his principles regarding community and nation.
· Following Joe’s suicide, Kate urges Chris to live without guilt.