The Gulf War (1991)
· Took place in the Gulf of Arabia.
· Iraq invaded Kuwait.
· Iraq was ruled by Saddam Hussein.
· The U.S. responded because Iraq had invaded a neutral country.
· It was an “act of aggression”.
· The U.S. did not want Russia to gain Iraq’s oil.
· Iraq had the fourth biggest standing army in the world (950,000 troops).
· American troops were directed by “Stormin’” Norman Schwarzkopf.
· Britain sent 54,000 troops.
· The U.S., Britain and many other countries fought as one force.
· They committed a total of 545,000 troops.
· This number later increased to 697,000.
· Losses: Iraq (est.) 100,000
· Gulf War Syndrome
· Approximately 250,000 of the 697,000 veterans who served in the 1991 Gulf War are afflicted with enduring chronic multi-symptom illness.
· For a long time the government denied the existence of the condition.
How were Gulf War veterans with G.W.S. treated when they returned to the U.K.?
· What is Gulf War Syndrome?
· What are the symptoms?
· What is the current treatment of G.W.S.?
· How were men treated by the Army?
· How were they treated when they left the army?
· What support did the government offer?
· How many men were affected?
· How did charities help?