The Night time: Mrs Scott dreams while Donald Macleod is writing and thinking about his problems.
Which parts of her dream do you think have any meaning?
• Seeing her husband and son shows that she feels alone.
• She can’t hear – shows her isolation.
• Donald Macleod is literally re-writing her faith.
• The white horse – a rescue – but the horse is ridden by Patrick Sellar. False hope.
• The figure on the bed – a memory of her mother’s illness.
What do you think Donald Macleod is thinking about as he tries to write?
• The clearances.
• Trying to get the message across.
• His anger towards the clearances.
• The fact that his writing will not prevent them.