What can we tell about Crooks from the start of this section?
• He works with the horses.
• He has hoarded his belongings together.
• He is lonely – dirty magazines.
• Permanent on the ranch.
• He is smart – glasses, books.
• Looks after his health – medicine bottles – an injured back (crooked).
• Needs to defend himself.
• Proud – tidy.
• He is separated – treated like an animal.
• He knows his rights.
• “pain-tightened lips” – his life has made him unhappy.
* Ku Klux Klan – a white supremacist organisation that had a huge membership in the first decades of the 20th Century.