Mrs Scott wakes to find herself in a strange bed.
She is in a period of calm and has now finished going over all her memories. She has also done all she can think of to avert being turned out of her house.
How has the writer created a peaceful mood?
* A series of short sentences.
* Dwells a long time on small details.
* Very little movement in the scene.
* Word choice: “cool”, “dark”, “white-washed”, “sunlight like water”, “flickering”, “silence”
Sunlight and water. What impression is given by these two images being linked together?
* Cleansing – like a new start – fresh and bright and new – washing away the old