Exodus – Character Sketch of Mara
In class we have been reading the book ‘Exodus’ by Julie Bertagna. In this essay I will be writing about the main character in the book ‘Mara’. Over the course of the book we see Mara take on an epic challenge, journey and transformation. In the sketch I will try to show how the transformation takes place.
1. Where is Mara at the beginning of the novel?
2. What is wrong with this place?
3. What does Mara persuade the islanders to do?
4. How would you describe Mara at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Mara most enjoy doing? Why?
6. Why is Mara frustrated on the Island?
7. When the boats leave the island, how does Mara feel?
8. Which person does she not want to leave behind?
9. What happens to Mara and her parents?
10. What is wrong with New Mungo when Mara gets there?
11. How does this make Mara feel?
12. What does Mara decide to do for the refugees and urchins?
13. How does Mara get into the sky city?
14. Why is the new world confusing for Mara?
15. Where does Mara meet “Fox”?
16. Who is he?
17. How does he help her?
18. At the end of the book, how do you feel about Mara?
19. Has she developed as a character?
20. What has she done that is very brave?